Well, I think I can hold my hands up enough got get this typed out. On November 19th the day was going well. I had dropped and hooked in Orange, TX and was in Avondale, LA. I was going to drop that trailer and grab one going back to Pascagoula, MS. It was getting close to shift change and there were not many people around. I couldn’t drop my trailer by the steel office so I had to move around to the main road into the yard to drop. I loosened  the binders and was on the last one at the front of the trailer. I am not real sure what happened next, but I felt myself falling from 7 to 8 feet in the air……head first, off the trailer. I tried to stop the fall, but couldn’t grab onto anything. As the asphalt came rushing closer to my face, I remember thinking, “This is going to hurt!”.

I don’t remember putting my hands out to break the fall, but I guess I did, because as I lay there, not only did my face hurt, but my wrist were in great pain. I yelled, “Oh God, somebody please help me!” I could feel the blood pouring down my face and I could not see out of my left eye. I was scared to move! One thing I learned through a first aid class in college, and the training in Iraq, was to not move anyone with a possible neck or head injury. People rushed up to me. I remember many faces coming into my line of sight and them telling me to not move. I cried and asked, “how bad is my face?”, “how messed up are my wrist?”

The NGSS emergency people arrived, cut the glove off my right hand and tried to gt the left, but it hurt to much and I screamed in pain and begged them to stop. Finally they immobilized my wrist. Every time they touched my arms I screamed in pain! It was the worse I have ever felt!! They put me in a neck brace, onto a back board, then on a gurney and loaded me into their ambulance. They cleaned the blood from my left eye just to have it fill again. My mind was reeling! I knew my face and my wrist were messed up really bad even though they kept telling me that it wasn’t. Tally told me that they had called Vern, my dispatcher, and would take care of my truck.

The NGSS ambulance took me to the front gate where the local ambulance picked me up and we started the long ride to the hospital. I asked how long the ride was after being in the ambulance for a few minuets and was told about 10 minuets. They couldn’t get an IV in my arm because of how the guys at the shipyard had immobilized my arms. The ride seemed like it was hours long even though I know it wasn’t.

Once at the ER, they went to work on me. I asked them to get my cell phones and call my Dad and my boyfriend, Walter. Both wanted more information than the nurse could give them at the moment. I don’t remember everything that happened in the ER. I remember a doctor telling me the I had a broken nose and he was going to stitch up my face. I got 5 stitches in my nose, one above my lip and 4 near the hair line of my forehead. The doctor told me that I had a hole in my forehead. That sucked and made me worry about how big of a hole it was. I barely remember them doing x-rays and a CAT scan. The only reason I remember the CAT scan it that they kept bumping my arms on the tube as they moved me into it. I guess somewhere in all the commotion they had gotten an IV in my right arm and given me pain killers.

I was told that they would set my nose in about 10 days and would be having surgery on my wrist the next day. When I asked how bad my wrist were they told me that they were both shattered. I asked how many brakes and could I see the x-ray. I was told they couldn’t show me the x-ray and they wouldn’t give me a number. They just kept saying that they were shattered! I still have no idea how many breaks were in both wrist!

I was taken to my room and later the evening my Dad showed up. I was given the news that my surgery would not happen till Friday. I cried. I didn’t want to be in pain any more. I wanted my wrist fixed! I knew that once I had surgery, I would feel better and could start healing. I was in great pain and every time they took my blood pressure, it was high, way high! I was asking for something for the pain long before they could give me anything. I cried, I bawled like a baby.

my new jewlery?!Friday morning they did my surgery and I woke to pins in my hands and arms with external fasteners. (See above picture) At that time, my wrist were also wrapped with ace bandages. As my hands and wrist would swell, the tighter they got. Once again, I was in great pain, but from the pressure and no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to go down or to stop hurting. On Sunday, the surgeon came in and took off the bandages. What a relief! The pain eased right away and on Monday afternoon I was released from the hospital!

My Dad has rigged things up so that I can do most things for myself. I have microwave meals and finger food. Dad has to come over and open my front door each morning because I can’t turn the door knob. We went shopping and I picked up some clothes that I can get on and off myself. We got small containers that I can handle and he fills them up each morning for me. I do a lot of sleeping because the pain killers knock me out and I lay on the couch and watch TV. I am board out of my mind and get depressed at times because I can’t do much for myself. The feeling of being helpless is over whelming and depressing for someone such as me that is used to being very active.

BUT, I have many great friends that burn up my cell phone calling to check in on me and try to occupy my mind. they also send text messages, emails, and messages through MySpace. As upsetting as it is that I am probably going to be out of work for at least 6 months, I am very grateful to have so many people out there that love and care for me.

So I want to give a great big thank you to my family, all the Road Dogs that have called and are still sending flowers. But most of all to my Dad, I don’t know what I would do without his unselfish help right now. Thank you everyone! And if anyone gets in my area, please give me a call and stop by for a visit. I have plenty of room for parking a big truck!

Written by WhiteRose

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *