I guess this job isn’t going to be as boring as I first thought is was going to be. It is just going to be a different kind of excitement. The last few days have been something else.

Let me first start with the fact the Eddie had to move his R&R up from the 14th of Feb. to the 7th. His sister-in-law passed away. Please keep him in you prayers at this time.

With his leaving for R&R earlier than we had expected, I have been thrown into my new job without much training. But I am hanging in there. I am glad that I had a bit of time working on all the paperwork before my home time. I had 3 days to learn the new forms before he left. FX is helping as much as he can, but I am the only one around here that knows the paperwork and how to do it. Like he did with Eddie, FX is leaving most of what is going on to me. He handles the really big stuff, but I am the one getting the convoy out in the mornings. I am really staying busy in the mornings. Now the afternoons are a bit easier. After I get the guys and gals, out of the yard I have 3 different reports that have to be done. And while doing that, I am trying to get our roster of personal on the computer so as to make my job a little faster and easier in the mornings.

There are days that I am not sure I am going to like this job, or that I can handle it. When I took this job, I really didn’t think about that fact that I would be sending these guys and gals into the more dangerous areas. I knew that I could be sending them up to Anaconda in the near future, but what has been going on here lately is uncalled for. Yes we all know that we have the chance of rocks, bullets and mortars coming at us, but we are supposed to be being protected by the MP’s that patrol the area and escort us. That has not been being done here lately. I realize that a lot of these Military guys are getting short on their time here, but this “I don’t give a shit” attitude is going to get someone hurt or killed. I don’t mean to complain, but everyone said they want the truth about what’s going on over here. I can only give you what I see. And this is it.

FX and I had all the ex-pat in the convoy the other day write up reports as to what is going on at the border. We then took those reports to our Safety office. It just so happened that one of the big-wig safety guys from Houston was there. We let him have it all. Then when he asked if he could talk to a few of the guys, I called the CC on that mission and told him to tell ALL the guys on the bus to please go to the safety office when they got off the bus at the Safir. then FX and I left the office. We gave them the room to complain to safety without us there. That way they could say what ever they wanted without having to worry about us interfering or safety thinking that we were coaching them.

Then, the next morning, the TDC safety guy, John, stopped by and I let him have it. I gave him all 17 reports. And when he came into the DEFC for lunch and sat down with me, I had the guys off the other crew sitting with me and they let him know what they thought of it all. Then some guy higher up came and asked me some questions about it all. I again let the guys speak their thoughts on the subject as well as voicing my own. I guess it has done some good for now. We have had 2 days that our guys have made it safely back into Kuwait and not been rocked or had to leave the roadway to avoid objects in the road. Course, we all know that it is just a matter of time and it will start again. Then we will have to go through all this again. I really don’t care how many times I have to do this, or even if it make me look like a nuisance. If that is what it takes to get the Military to do their job and protect my guys, than that is what I will do.

Now, enough complaining. A bit of good news. Well, for me it was good news. I have run into another person from home. Tail Pipe use to drive for Christenson when Bill and I were there. I was eating lunch today and this guy walked up to me and asked me if I worked for Christenson before coming over here. Well, I knew I had seen him before and as soon as he said that, I knew where. He and I used to run together from time to time when we both worked here. It is nice to know that there is someone that knows me from the states. I called Keith and but Tail pipe on the phone and he laughed his head off. Now he has another person here that he knows as well. Keith’s unit is due to come home in about 60 days, so this will also leave me someone here when he is gone home. We are all going to try to get together in the next few days. I am looking forward to that.
Well, guys and gals, I need to get back to work. Oh, just so ya’ll know, I am on line every afternoon, from 11:30 to 16:30 Kuwait time, which is 02:30 to 07:30 central time in the states. I always have yahoo messenger running, so come say hi to me when ya’ll get a chance. Just remember, I am at work and at time I am very busy, but I always have time to at least have time to say hi.

Written by WhiteRose

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *